PTE test of English is a new agency in conducting tests and certifying English proficiency of international students. It has over 150 centres worldwide conducting tests 362 days a year on flexible dates. PTE scores are accepted by over 6000 organizations, universities, and colleges making students eligible for admissions globally.
Preparing for PTE exam India isn’t easy. It needs a systematic approach for preparation in accordance with the syllabus and following key guidelines. Takers need to follow the guidelines in answering questions to avoid deduction of scores in the test.
The scores in PTE exam are given based on seven traits or qualities of the response in the written section. Here are the situations in which takers won’t get any score in the following cases:
If response is irrelevant to question
If answer given isn’t in English
If capital letters were used in answering question
If no response was given on a particular question
Here are the seven traits looked in written answers for scoring:
1. Content: The score in content is given if all aspects of the topic are discussed in the answer giving relevant examples and explanation supporting your views.
Rating scale in the content is given assessing the following:
3, if the essay addresses the topics adequately in the answer
2, if answer addresses the topic but leaves a minor aspect
1, if the essay addresses the topic but leaves one or more aspect
0, if the essay doesn’t address the topic properly
2. Formal Requirement: In this trait, the score is given determining the length requirement of the response 200-300 words.
The rating scale in the formal requirement are:
2, if response length is 200 to 300 words
1, if answer is given between 120 and 199 or 301 and 380 words
0, if response is below 120 or more than 380 words
3. Development, Structure, and Coherence: Score in this trait is given if the response is organized properly containing good ideas and logic structure. Here is the rating scale:
2, if essay contains good ideas and logical structure
1, if answer is less structured or contains poorly linked elements
0, if answer contains no coherence containing loose element or lists
4. Grammar: The score in grammar is given if the answer contains no grammatical mistakes. The rating scale in this trait:
2 if essay contains no grammatical errors or difficult to spot
1, if essay demonstrates a grammatical control and contains mistakes but doesn’t create misunderstanding
0 for containing several mistakes and simple structures
5. General Linguistic Range: In this trait, the score is given by examining if language used in the response could convey taker’s ideas accurately or precisely
The rating scale:
2 if written answer shows mastery of languages used in creating thoughts precisely with proper stress and no ambiguity
1 if essay demonstrates range of languages offering clear description for expression and putting arguments
0 if essay is written in simple langue with no precision
6. Vocabulary Range: Scoring is given examining lexical repertoire in the given response.
The rating scale on which score is given:
2 for essay shows good command over lexical repertoire, idiomatic expression, and colloquialism
1 if essay demonstrates a good range of vocabulary but contains lexical shortcomings resulting to imprecision.
0 for essay containing basic vocabulary or not at par with required level in the topic
7. Spelling: The score is determined if there is correct spelling in the written essay. Here is the rating scale in this trait:
2 for correct spelling and a typing error in the response
1 for one spelling mistake and a type error
0 in essay for numerous spelling mistakes or numerous typing errors
A good proficiency test is compulsory for students to study abroad, immigration, and work in native speaking countries. Taking the PTE test repeatedly create financial constraints for takers. To avoid financial problems, takers need to buy PTE vouchers to avail a 10% discount on the original fee. Contact us today to buy a voucher and use in booking the test immediately.
In this article, the author has described 6 ultimate tips for preparation in PTE exam India and succeeds quickly.